Time to Review
Many firms undertake employee reviews around this time of year, which forces us to take a step back from the daily grind and evaluate our careers. It’s an incredibly important process to go through on a regular basis, but one which all too often gets pushed down the list in favour of more immediate concerns.
Now don’t get me wrong, I don’t think many people expect their working lives to be one blissful moment after the next; getting paid enormous sums, whilst handling the most incredibly interesting work and maintaining the elusive ‘work/life balance’.. but if you don’t take some time out to reflect, how are you ever supposed to get even close?!
The first thing you need to do is to take 10 minutes out, and be honest with yourself about a few things:-
- Do you relish going back into the office on Monday?
- When you get to the office, do you like the people you work with? (be kind!)
- Are you finding the bulk of your work interesting or challenging enough?
- When you finish said (interesting/uninteresting) work, do you receive enough praise and recognition for it?
- As you do more work, are your ambitions being met and encouraged by the firm?
- Do you feel you are paid sufficiently for your time, effort and results?
- Are you working towards a defined career path?
Unless you’re already cynical beyond repair, achieving Yes’s to most of the above is not just possible, it’s realistic and how life should be.
So if you have answered No to half or more, thats a pretty clear indication you should get in touch with a well connected recruiter (me), who you can discuss your ideal role criteria with, so we can keep you posted on relevant options.
And in case you were wondering, this doesn’t mean you’re going to open a Pandora’s Box of calls and emails bombarding you with unsuitable roles!
Our core values are based on accuracy, relevance, and appropriate timing, and we’re here for the long term, so if you think it’s likely you will want to move in the next couple of years, it’s probably a good idea to call us to discuss this well ahead of time while your position is still strong.
And if you are desperately unhappy –make yourself a priority and call us today.